Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

This makes for a very large batch! You can freeze for later or store for leftovers. This would also make for a nice gift in a quart jar for a neighbor.

2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large Yellow/White Onion
3 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Real Salt/Himalayan Salt
5 Garlic Cloves, minced
4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
2 cups Roasted Red Bell Peppers (you can buy it in a jar or make your own), chopped
1 medium sized Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch), about 2 cups
4 cups Stewed Tomatoes (I use my mom's homemade stewed tomatoes, yum!)
1 (15 oz) can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15oz) can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
2 stalks of Green Onion, thinly sliced

In a Dutch oven over low heat add oil and warm. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add cumin and next 4 ingredients, through the minced garlic. Cook another 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender. For a thicker chili simmer uncovered. For more of a stew like dish simmer covered with a lid. Sprinkle with green onions. I also like to add avocado chunks too.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm at the beginning of a major life style change, and our diet is the beginning. I will be devouring your dessert menus to help us curb our addictive sweet tooth that we just can't seem to cure.

I would love any advice, sources, and more recipes that you can provide to help me find healthy substitutes for dessert.

And I will also be making your chili soon, because that looks so yum. Ohhh with some bread.

Marleen said...

Lisa! Good for you and your family. It can be really hard at first but it only lasts for about two weeks. Well, atleast for me.

I would first suggest to stop all refined sugars, corn syrups and anything else that is processed. Then start substituting and experimenting with your regular recipes adding instead honey or agave and sometimes maple syrup. These types of sweetners work so much better in your body and you will see an immediate difference.

I'll have to post my bread pudding soon. It is very yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails